- All dogs six months old or over are required to be licensed by April 1.
- A valid current rabies certificate must be provided to receive a license. If applicable, proof of spaying or neutering must also be provided in writing from a veterinarian.
The fees for licensing dogs are:
- Neutered or Spayed Dog - $5
- Unneutered or Unspayed Dog - $15
- Please note that beginning May 1 and on each succeeding month, weekend and holidays excluded, the owner or keeper of any dog owned or kept within the city, who has not obtained the required license, shall be assessed an administrative late charge of $5 for each and every month that the dog remains unlicensed, in addition to the dog license fee.However, in no case shall the owner or keeper be assessed late charges for a period exceeding eleven(11) months in the aggregate. All such fees must be paid before a license can be issued for any subsequent year per city ordinance section 5-17(c).
Purchase By Mail
A dog license may be purchased by mail if you include $1.00 postage and handling. Send the appropriate license fee and valid current rabies certificate to:
City Clerk's Office
210 Main St.
Northampton, MA 01060-3148
If this license is not a renewal, please send in addition to the above the owner's name, address, and telephone number; the dog's name, age, breed, color(s), gender. Please also enclose proof of spaying or neutering.
Change in Ownership
If you no longer own your dog, or have any questions, please contact the City Clerk's Office at 413-587-1224. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.