Permits, Code & Regulations
Application for all Planning & Sustainability permits and entitlements
We all love our projects, but some are not allowed. Talk to planning staff before applying to avoid disappointment.
1. APPLY ONLINE (link at the end of these instructions). Applications must be filed at least 30 days prior to a hearing.
2. PAY FEES PAY FEES ONLINE <<--you MUST pay online to complete your application >>
3. SUBMIT PAPER COPIES - Folded plans are required for all plans larger than 8.5" by 11".
UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, ALL PAPER COPY APPLICATIONS MUST BE MAILED VIA USPS to OFFICE OF PLANNING & SUSTAINABILITY, 210 Main St. Room 11, Northampton 01060. CITY HALL IS CLOSED FOR DROP OFF due to precautions related to COVID19
Application packets MUST be collated. NO plastic bindings.
Visit https://northamptonma.gov/1971/Permit-Process-Guide for additional detail.
Submit one copy of your On-Line Payment receipt. Submit hard copies of your APPLICATION with supporting materials, including zoning permit/building department review in collated packets to Planning & Sustainability. Number of packets as follows:
- Approval Not Required survey: Mylar (rolled) and FOUR copies of both application and folded plans
- Central Business Architecture: Digital submission plus three copies entire package, Submittal Criteria
- Historic District Certificate of Appropriateness: One copies entire package
- Historic District Certificate of Non-Applicability: One application and supporting information
- Planning Board Site Plan, Special Permits, West St. Architecture: 2 copies entire package ( plans may be reduced scale: 11x17),
- Zoning Board Special Permits, Finding, Appeals: 2 copies entire package, Plus 1 Copy mailed to BRiddle, POB 175 Leeds, MA 01053.
- Zoning Board Comprehensive Permits: 3 copies entire package (2 plans may be reduced scale),
- Conservation Commission wetlands filings: Two copies entire package, including the state wetlands application . IF filing a Notice of Intent, amendment request or ANRAD, include one abutters list and an affidavit (DOC) that you notified abutters (DOC) of your application. Request abutters list from our GIS coordinator.
- Demolition Delay, see Building--demolition delay is part of building permit process
4. PUBLIC HEARING SIGN
Pickup a yellow sign from Planning & Sustainability and post it on the subject property. City Hall is closed to the public, please contact staff to arrange a pickup time. (NOT for ANRs and Historic District non-applicability). We will email you a public hearing notice which you must print and insert in the public hearing sign. RETURN the sign to Planning & Sustainability on the day of your hearing. Staff will place any required newspaper advertising.
5. APPLY ONLINE HERE If the property has no street number, enter 0 for street number. Press SUBMIT and PRINT BEFORE existing. Then pay on-line (see #2 above). For large projects: upload digital plans/materials or submit on storage device.
6. After Filing
- Within 21 days, staff will notify you if additional information is required
- Generally, within 21 days ANR plans will be ready for pick up
- IF your project includes work within a public way, either because you need city services or it is a condition of a permit, you MUST obtain Prevailing Wage rates and you MUST pay those wages to your employees.
- Everything you file will be on the Internet and in the public domain. Do NOT include confidential information.