Permits, Code & Regulations
Application for all Planning and Sustainability permitsRead the following instructions BEFORE applying. Contact staff if you have questions.
1. APPLY ONLINE (link at the end of these instructions)
2. PAY FEES --this is REQUIRED to complete your application >> PAY ONLINE (click here) <<
Your permit fee is calculated on the application form. You must pay online by credit card, debit card, or checking account. Payment in person by check or cash is not accepted. PRINT the confirmation page and submit to the Office of Planning and Sustainability located in City Hall, Room 10.
3. SUBMIT PAPER COPIES - Folded plans are required for all plans larger than 8.5" by 11".
Application packets MUST be collated.
Submit one copy of your On-Line Payment receipt. Submit hard copies of your APPLICATION with supporting materials, including zoning permit and building dept. review in collated packets to Office of Planning & Sustainability. Number of packets as follows:
• Approval Not Required survey: Mylar and FOUR copies of both application and folded plans.
• Central Business Architecture: Digital submission plus 3 copies entire package,Submittal Criteria
• Historic District Certificate of Appropriateness: 9 copies entire package
• Historic District Certificate of Non-Applicability: ONE application and supporting information
• Planning Board Site Plan, Special Permits, West St. Architecture: 14 copies entire package (3 plans may be reduced scale),
• Zoning Board Special Permits, Finding, Appeals: 10 copies entire package.
• Zoning Board Comprehensive Permits: 19 copies entire package (5 plans may be reduced scale),
FOR CONSERVATION COMMISSION FILING ONLY:
Provide 9 copies entire package PLUS 9 copies state wetlands application application, and copy of local fee PAYMENT receipt. Please consult with staff to determine if the number of hard copies can be reduced. IF filing a Notice of Intent, amendment request or ANRAD, include one abutters list and an that you of your application. Request abutters list at GIS@NorthamptonMa.gov.
4. PUBLIC HEARING SIGN
Pickup a yellow sign from Office of Planning & Sustainability and post it on the subject property. (NOT for ANRs and Historic District non-applicability). We will email you a public hearing notice which you must print and insert in the public hearing sign. RETURN the sign to the Planning Office on the day of your hearing.
- Note: for Demolition Delay, see Building--demolition delay is part of building permit process
5. APPLY ONLINE--pay online (see #2 above) to complete
Complete your application on-line and press SUBMIT. Larger projects: upload digital plans/materials or submit on storage device. Then PRINT BEFORE exiting.