Volunteer Board of Health
The Volunteer Board of Health is a five member board which works with the city government to maintain and improve the quality of life in Northampton. The Board members meet once a month.
The term of service on the Board is three years. The Board of Health is appointed by the Mayor with confirmation by City Council. Appointments are made on a rolling basis, as members resign or retire from service.
We welcome applicants with a strong background in public health who are eager to serve the citizens of Northampton.
The duties of the Board of Health include:
- Public health advocacy
- Provide leadership to the Northampton Health Department
- Adopt, promulgate, amend, and repeal local public health
- Hear appeals, variances or waivers to state or local public health regulations
- Set fees for public health permits and services
- Act as the licensing authority for all public health permits and licenses in Northampton
About the Board
The Volunteer Board of Health sets policies and votes on regulations for the city of Northampton. The Mayor appoints, with council's approval, five members of the community to serve as volunteers.
Current Board Members:
Donna Salloom - Chairperson
Suzanne Smith, M.D., MPH
Joanne Levin, M.D.
Cynthia A. Suopis, PhD
The Board of Health holds a monthly public meeting that is open to all members of the community.
Meetings are generally on the third Thursday of the month at 5:00 pm. Please call the Board of Health office for exact time and location.