Red Cross Lifeguarding Recertificaton
Two Separate Sessions
Session I June 1: 9:30 am - 5:00 pm (MUST Preregister by May 24, 2019)
Session II June 29: 9:30 am - 5:00 pm (MUST Preregister by June 21, 2019)
This course is for Lifeguards having a certification expiration date that is 30 days or less than the class date.
Participants will need to present their certificate at the beginning of the class. This is a blended learning class. There is approximately ten hours of online learning for you to do on your own, prior to the in-class session.
Class materials include; Pocket Masks (Adult & Pediatric), Hip Pack, Whistle, and Lanyard.
Pre-registration is required to allow participants to receive the online links for the online program, lifeguard manual, and provide enough time for completing the online portion of class.
Upon successful completion of this course (including written and rescue skills testing), you will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard/CPRO/AED/First Aid certificate which is valid for 2 years.
The first hour of the class will be the Pre-Course swimming test which MUST be successfully completed.
Lifeguard only Pre-course Requirements:
- Ability to pass swim test of 300 yards (12 lengths) continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing) using front crawl or breaststroke. Goggles allowed.
- Tread water for two (2) minutes using only the legs (hands under arms)
- Complete within 1 minute, 40 seconds: From shallow end of pool, swim 20 yards, surface dive to retrieve a 10-pound object from the deep end of pool, return to starting point holding brick with both hands while keeping face out of water, and exit water without using ladder or steps. Goggles NOT allowed.
Optional Waterfront Module: Sunday June 30: 11:30 am - 4:00 pm
Waterfront pre-course requirements
Are the same as Lifeguard Only Pre-course Requirements with the following additions
- Swim an additional 250 yards (10 lengths) for a total of 550 yards (22 lengths)
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three diving rings placed five yards apart in four to seven feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards.
Fee: Pre-Course Required Swim Test: $25.00 (non refundable)
Lifeguard Recertification Only: $160 / $170 / $180 (includes all materials)
Lifeguard Recertification with Waterfront*: $220 / $240 / $250
Fees listed in the order of AFC Member / Resident / Non-Resident
*Students need to provide their own mask and fins
Please call the Parks and Recreation office at 587-1040 if you have further questions.