Red Cross Lifeguarding Recertificaton
Spring & Summer Sessions
Session II June 6: 9:30 am - 5:00 pm (MUST Preregister by June 1, 2020)
Session III June 27: 9:30 am - 5:00 pm (MUST Preregister by June 22, 2020)
Location: (Lifeguard & Waterfront Morning Session) Aquatic & Family Center at JFK Middle School
100 Bridge Road, Florence, MA 01062
(Waterfront Afternoon session) David B. Musante Beach
85 Reservoir Road, Leeds, MA 01053
This course is for Lifeguards having a certification expiration date that is 30 days or less than the class date.
Participants will need to present their certificate at the beginning of the class. This is a blended learning class. There is approximately ten hours of online learning for you to do on your own, prior to the in-class session.
Class materials include; Pocket Masks (Adult & Pediatric), Hip Pack, Whistle, and Lanyard.
Pre-registration is required to allow participants to receive the online links for the online program, lifeguard manual, and provide enough time for completing the online portion of class.
Upon successful completion of this course (including written and rescue skills testing), you will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard/CPRO/AED/First Aid certificate which is valid for 2 years.
The first hour of the class will be the Pre-Course swimming test which MUST be successfully completed.
Lifeguard Pre-course Requirements: There is a $25.00 non-refundable pre-test fee which is included with registration.
- Ability to pass swim test of 300 yards (12 lengths) continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing) using front crawl or breaststroke. Goggles allowed.
- Tread water for two (2) minutes using only the legs (hands under arms)
- Complete within 1 minute, 40 seconds: From shallow end of pool, swim 20 yards, surface dive to retrieve a 10-pound object from the deep end of pool, return to starting point holding brick with both hands while keeping face out of water, and exit water without using ladder or steps. Goggles NOT allowed.
Optional Waterfront Module: June 28: 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Waterfront Pre-course Requirements: There is a $25.00 non-refundable pre-test fee which is included with registration.
- Same as Lifeguard Pre-Course requirements PLUS
- Swim an additional 250 yards (10 lengths) for a total of 550 yards (22 lengths)
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards. Goggles NOT allowed.
Fee: Includes $25 non-refundable pre-test and all materials
Lifeguard Re-certification Only: $185 / $195 / $205 (participant needs to provide current lifeguard certificate)
Lifeguard Re-certification with Waterfront: $245 / $265 / $275 (participant needs to provide mask & fins and present current Lifeguard Certification)
Fees listed in the order of AFC Member / Resident / Non-Resident
Please call the Parks and Recreation office at 587-1040 if you have further questions.