2023 Household Hazardous Waste Collection
The city's annual household hazardous waste (HHW) collection event is scheduled for Saturday, September 9, 2023. Advance registration by Thursday, September 7, 2023 is required to participate. Please review the information below carefully before completing the registration form. You will receive a copy of your registration responses as confirmation that your request was received, and you will be contacted with further details about the event by Friday, September 8, 2023.
Helpful tip: Be sure to select "Submit" after you have completed the form.
Northampton's Annual HHW Collection
The City of Northampton Department of Public Works organizes an annual collection event for many types of household hazardous waste (pdf). Residents of Florence, Leeds, and Northampton may bring HHW from their homes to this event. Select Northampton small businesses may also participate with prior arrangements (see below). Preregistration is required for all participants and space is limited.
Important details to review before registering for the event:
- Water-based paint (e.g. latex paint) is not accepted at most municipal hazardous waste collections. Please see water-based paint disposal information (pdf) for disposal instructions.
- Year-round, city-sponsored collection programs exist for medication and sharps disposal. Sharps and medication are not accepted at this event.
- The City of Northampton will cover the disposal cost of up to 25 gallons or pounds of material for preregistered City households. Residential participants will be required to pay the disposal fee for any material in excess of that amount. The fee is quantity-based, but in most cases it will be between $20-$50. Cost estimation is not as simple as weighing the material. If you have a large quantity of material and would like a better understanding of your cost sharing portion, please email us
- Some non-residents may participate via a reciprocal municipal agreement; please email us for details
- Some Northampton small businesses may participate via a pre-approved, cost-sharing agreement; please email us for details
- A small number of household hazardous waste items are collected at the city's transfer stations (pdf) on a year-round basis; some fees (pdf) may apply
- Antifreeze, compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs, unmixed automotive oil and gasoline, and automotive, rechargeable, NiCad, and button batteries are collected at the Locust Street transfer station
- Larger, tube-based fluorescent bulbs are accepted at the Glendale Road transfer station.
Register to participate in the September 9, 2023 event by completing the 2023 HHW Registration form.
Other HHW Disposal Alternatives
Two alternative options exist for those unable to attend (or wait for) the city’s next annual hazardous household waste collection.
1) Participate in a neighboring community’s HHW event
Northampton residents willing to pay the full disposal cost of their material may participate in collection events held in specific neighboring communities (pdf). To register or learn more about the participation cost, please email or call 413-587-1570.
2) Bring your material to a commercial HHW collection site
Northeast Disposal Technologies (NEDT) operates a year-round, drop-off, HHW collection facility in Westfield, MA. For an additional fee, NEDT offers a pick-up service for many forms of hazardous waste.