Benefits of Shopping Locally
Shopping locally generates many important benefits for small business owners, their employees and Northampton residents. According to the Business Alliance for Local Living Economies:
- $10 million in local spending supports 57 jobs while $10 million spent at a national chain store supports 14 jobs.
- $100 spent locally will retain $67 in new spending while $100 spent at a national chain retains only $32
- 90% of net new job creation nationally is attributable to independent businesses.
Local Shopping Rewards Program
Valley Placemaker Western Massachusetts is a shopping rewards program offering free memberships for shoppers to participate in this rewards program designed to increase local commerce while supporting local businesses and their employees. Participating shoppers earn rewards for just visiting or purchasing products and services at Valley Placemaker shops. Shoppers earn "merits" for their visits or purchases which accumulate and can be redeemed at participating Valley Placemaker stores and businesses.
413 Takeout Program
413 Takeout was developed by the Greater Northampton Chamber of Commerce's Economic Development Committee (EDC) and the Downtown Northampton Association (DNA). Each week, all those who have taken the "413 Pledge" to support Northampton's local restaurants are entered to win one of two, $25 Northampton Gifts Cards.
Local Business Directories
- The Greater Northampton Chamber of Commerce posts a list of member businesses.
- The Hampshire County Regional Tourism Council posts lists of local shops and businesses in Hampshire County.
- Community Involved in Sustaining Agriculture (CISA) posts a "Find It Locally" page which offers lists of regional farms, farmers markets, restaurants and cafes which all sell locally made produce.