- Health & Human Services
- Division of Public Health Nursing
- Abortion & Reproductive Healthcare
Abortion & Reproductive Health care
Abortion law in Massachusetts
Abortion remains legal in Massachusetts. In 2020, Massachusetts adopted the ROE Act, which created an affirmative right to abortion health care throughout the state. In June 2022, the state passed An Act Expanding Protections for Reproductive and Gender-Affirming Care. This law constitutionally preserves and protects reproductive and gender-affirming health care in the Commonwealth, including for individuals who travel from out of state and the providers who serve them. In addition, this law requires Masshealth, GIC, and commercial health insurance to cover abortion-related care.
More information can be found here.
Alert about Crisis Pregnancy Centers (CPCs)
If you are searching online for abortion or pregnancy services, you may see a crisis pregnancy center at the top of your search results. Crisis pregnancy centers are NOT reproductive health care providers. Crisis pregnancy centers are are anti-abortion, anti-contraception groups.
Read the Massachusetts Attorney General’s consumer advisory about CPCs here.
If you have been a victim of a CPC, you have the right to:
- File a complaint with the Civil Rights Division: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/file-a-civil-rights-complaint
- File a complaint about a charity or non-profit: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/file-a-complaint-about-a-charity-or-non-profit
Known CPCs in our area - avoid these locations if you're seeking an abortion:
- Bethelehem House, Inc, Easthampton
- Clearway Clinic, Springfield
- Springfield Pregnancy Care Center
- Alternatives Pregnancy Center, Greenfield
- Abortion Rights Fund of Western Massachusetts - This organization provides direct funding for abortion care to folks who either reside in New England or are going to a clinic located in New England. The linked page includes step-by-step directions on how to access abortion in this area, including a list of nearby clinics.
- Patient Navigation through the Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts - Stigma-free information, case management services, and support related to abortion care.
- The Miscarriage and Abortion Hotline - Reach a medical professional who can help you self-manage your abortion or miscarriage by calling or texting 1-833-246-2632. Website also contains information on accessing medication abortions (aka abortion pills) online.
- Repro Legal Helpline - Get help from a lawyer around legal barriers to abortion, including access to abortion for those under 18.
- Tips on how to find the right clinic for you from the National Network of Abortion Funds. Great information on avoiding deceptive "Crisis Pregnancy Centers" and questions to ask when you call a clinic. Crisis pregnancy centers outnumber legitimate abortion clinics 3:1 in Massachusetts.
- A Language Guide for Journalists and Communities: Abortion and Reproductive Care - A guide to speaking about abortion and reproductive care from the Transgender Law Center. Draws from trans justice, economic justice, racial justice, and disability justice movements.
- I Need an Abortion - Resources on accessing abortions, including a database of clinics, information on types of abortion, and other FAQs.
- Medication abortion - find abortion pills online
- Plan C - Information on safe at-home abortions, including a database of providers with information on cost, delivery time, etc.
- Aid Access - Speak to a doctor who can provide medication abortion care. Intended for those who do not have the ability to access local abortion services.
- Local medical providers
- Cooley Dickinson ObGyn & Midwifery - Northampton office located at 22 Atwood Dr. Offers contraceptive management, fertility treatment, and medication and surgical abortions up to 12 weeks. Call 413-586-9866 to make an appointment.
- Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts - Closest location is at 3550 Main Street, Suite 201, Springfield, MA. This clinic provides sexual and reproductive health care services of many types, including gender-affirming care, contraception, medication abortion, and surgical abortion up to 20 weeks and 6 days.
- Tapestry Health - Northampton office located at 76 Carlon Dr. Telehealth options also available. Local organization that provides a variety of healthcare services, including emergency and routine contraception, preventive health screenings, and gender-affirming care. Does not offer abortion.