Streetlight Modification Request

Residents of the City of Northampton may request a modification to a city-owned streetlight affecting their place of residence by completing an online Streetlight Modification Request Form. Download the Request Form (PDF), or you can contact the Central Services Department at (413) 587-1238. This form can be used to request to add a streetlight, modify a streetlight, or remove a streetlight.

The Central Services Department will evaluate all requests based upon established criteria, to view the criteria used to evaluate click here for the site evaluation to add a streetlight, to modify a streetlight, or to remove a streetlight.

If your request to add, modify, or remove a streetlight is denied it may be appealed to the Mayor. Such appeal shall be filed in writing with the Mayor within ten (10) days of the date of such denial. The Mayor may grant such appeal upon a finding that the denial was based upon erroneous application of Site Evaluation, or that there are significant extenuating circumstances that warrant deviation from the Site Evaluation criteria.

Alternative Resolutions

The City of Northampton conducted mapping studies to determine the best locations for streetlights to maximize both public safety and energy efficiency. If a city resident wishes to add an additional streetlight at or near their property, the resident can contract directly with National Grid at their own expense to facilitate the installation and ongoing operation of said streetlight. Any streetlight installed through this process must comply with all aspects of Northampton's lighting ordinance (§ 350-12.2 of Northampton’s Zoning law).

The City of Northampton evaluated the streetlights installed in 2016 to determine an area around each lamp where the light from the lamp may cause an inordinate amount of light trespass into the window of a home situated within that area. If a city resident’s home lies outside this area of illumination but they still wish to add a streetlight shield to a streetlight that is illuminating some part of their residence they can contract with the city to have a shield installed that is designed to reduce light directed at the resident’s home. The city will determine which shield is installed. The resident will be provided a price for this service that covers material and labor.

Forms for Internal Use Only: