American Red Cross Lifeguarding Class
PLEASE READ COURSE DESCRIPTIONS AND PRE-COURSE REQUIREMENTS
Anyone taking any lifeguarding course MUST successfully complete all of the pre-course requirements.
- Must be 15 years old by the completion of course. Proof of age may be requested.
- Swim 300 yards (12 lengths) continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing using front crawl or breaststroke. Goggles allowed.
- Tread water for two (2) minutes using only the legs (hands under arm pits)
- Complete within 1 minute, 40 seconds: From shallow end of pool, swim 20 yards, surface dive to retrieve a 10-pound object from the deep end of pool, return to starting point holding brick with both hands while keeping face out of water, and exit water without using ladder or steps. Goggles NOT allowed. You need to open your eyes underwater.
- Click link below to view a pre-course requirement video:
Waterfront pre-course requirements are the same as above with the following additions.
- Swim an additional 250 yards (10 lengths) for a total of 550 yards (22 lengths)
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three diving rings placed five yards apart in four to seven feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards.
American Red Cross Lifeguarding Course with Optional Waterfront Module
Red Cross Lifeguarding course trains individuals to become a certified Red Cross Lifeguard and how to carry them out in a professional manner. You will also learn how to use surveillance techniques, rescue equipment, and how to manage a suspected spinal injury victim.
Class materials, pocket masks, whistle, and hip pack are included. Participants will be required to download the free participants manual. Participants MUST attend all classes and MUST successfully pass written and skills test to receive certification.
This is a blended learning class. There is approximately ten hours of online learning for you to do on your own, followed by the in class sessions. Once you complete the pre-course requirements you will be given information for accessing the online sessions.
Upon successful completion of this course (including written and rescue skills testing), you will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard/CPRO/AED/First Aid certificate which is valid for 2 years.
Pre-registration required, as space is limited and a minimum number is required to run the class.
Please call the Parks and Recreation office at 587-1040 if you have further questions.
Pre-registration required, as space is limited and a minimum number is required to run this class.
FALL Session I (Lifeguarding only, waterfront offered in Spring)
Sunday, October 28: 3:30 - 4:30 pm - Pre-course Required Swimming Test
Sunday, November 4, 11, 18: 11:30 am - 4:30 pm - Lifeguard Classroom & Pool
Thursday, November 8: 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm- CPRO/AED
Pre-Course Required Swimming Test $25 (Non-Refundable)
Lifeguarding Only $275 / $290 / $300 (includes all materials)
Fees listed in the order of AFC Member / Resident / Non-Resident
Aquatic & Family Center at JFK Middle School, 100 Bridge Road, Florence, MA 01062
Enter through back doors, across from the tennis courts