American Red Cross Lifeguarding Class
PLEASE READ COURSE DESCRIPTIONS AND PRE-COURSE REQUIREMENTS
Anyone taking any lifeguarding course MUST successfully complete all of the pre-course requirements.
- Must be 15 years old by the completion of course. Proof of age may be requested.
- Swim 300 yards (12 lengths) continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing using front crawl or breaststroke. Goggles allowed.
- Tread water for two (2) minutes using only the legs (hands under arm pits)
- Complete within 1 minute, 40 seconds: From shallow end of pool, swim 20 yards, surface dive to retrieve a 10-pound object from the deep end of pool, return to starting point holding brick with both hands while keeping face out of water, and exit water without using ladder or steps. Goggles NOT allowed.
- Click link below to view pre-course requirements:
Waterfront pre-course requirements are the same as above with the following additions.
- Swim an additional 250 yards (10 lengths) for a total of 550 yards (22 lengths)
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three diving rings placed five yards apart in four to seven feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards.
Red Cross Lifeguarding course trains individuals to become a certified Red Cross Lifeguard and how to carry them out in a professional manner. You will also learn how to use surveillance techniques, rescue equipment, and how to manage a suspected spinal injury victim.
Class materials, pocket masks, whistle, and hip pack are included. Participants will be required to download the free participants manual. Participants MUST attend all classes and MUST successfully pass written and skills test to receive certification.
This is a blended learning class. There is approximately ten hours of online learning for you to do on your own, followed by the in class sessions. Once you complete the pre-course requirements you will be given information for accessing the online sessions.
Upon successful completion of this course (including written and rescue skills testing), you will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard/CPRO/AED/First Aid certificate which is valid for 2 years.
Pre-registration required, as space is limited and a minimum number is required to run the class.
Please call the Parks and Recreation office at 587-1040 if you have further questions.
Pre-registration required, as space is limited and a minimum number is required to run this class.
Click here to download flyer with registration form for Spring Session II
Saturday April 21: 3:30 - 4:30 pm Pre-course Requirement Swimming Test
Saturday May 5, 12, 19: 11:30 am - 4:30 pm (Lifeguard Classroom & Pool)
Thursday May 10: 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm (CPRO/AED)
Saturday May 26: 11:30 am - 4:30 pm (Waterfront Class)
Session III Summer DatesSunday June 3: 3:00 - 4:00 pm Pre-course Requirement Swimming Test
Saturday June 9, 16, 23: 11:30 am - 4:30 pm (Lifeguard Classroom & Pool)
Thursday June 14: 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm (CPRO/AED)
Sunday June 24: 11:30 am - 4:30 pm (Waterfront Class)
Pre-Course Required Swimming Test $25 (Non-Refundable)
Lifeguarding Only $265 / $275 / $285 (includes all materials)
Lifeguarding with Waterfront $310 / $325 / $335 (participants provide mask & fins)
Waterfront Only $60 / $70 / $80 (need current Lifeguarding certificate)
(participants provide mask & fins)
Fees listed in the order of AFC Member / Resident / Non-Resident
Aquatic & Family Center at JFK Middle School, 100 Bridge Road, Florence, MA 01062