American Red Cross Lifeguarding Class
Lifeguarding Classes Have Resumed
PLEASE READ COURSE DESCRIPTIONS AND PRE-COURSE REQUIREMENTS
Anyone taking any lifeguarding course MUST successfully complete all of the pre-course requirements.
Lifeguard Only Pre-course Requirements:
- Must be 15 years old by the completion of course. Proof of age may be requested.
- Swim 300 yards (12 lengths of pool) continuously, demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing using front crawl or breaststroke. Goggles allowed.
- Tread water for two (2) minutes using only the legs (hands under arm pits)
- Complete within 1 minute, 40 seconds: From shallow end of pool, swim 20 yards, surface dive to retrieve a 10-pound object from the deep end of pool, return to starting point holding brick with both hands while keeping face out of water, and exit water without using ladder or steps. Goggles NOT allowed. YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES UNDERWATER. (contact lens wearers, please be aware of this)
- Click here to view a pre-course requirement video
Waterfront Pre-course Requirements are the same as the Lifeguard pre-course requirements with the following additions
- Swim an additional 250 yards (10 lengths) for a total length of 550 yards (22 lengths).
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three submerged objects placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards. Goggles NOT allowed.
Summer 2021 Session
Participants MUST attend all classes and MUST successfully pass written and skills test to receive certification.
MUST ATTEND ALL SESSIONS
Bring Extra Towels and a lunch break will be provided
Saturday June 19 8:30 am - 2:00 pm
Sunday June 20 8:30 am - 2:00 pm
Saturday June 26 8:30 am - 2:00 pm
Sunday June 27 8:30 am - 10:45 am
Sunday June 27 11:00 am - 2:00 pm (Pool)
Sunday June 27 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm (Musante Beach)
POOL: Aquatic & Family Center at JFK Middle School, 100 Bridge Road, Florence, MA 01062
(Enter through back of the building, rear glass doors across from the tennis courts)
BEACH: David B. Musante Beach: 85 Reservoir Road, Leeds, MA 01053
Fees: (includes $25 non-refundable pre-course swimming test and all other materials)
Lifeguard Only: Northampton Residents $275 (Non Residents add $10.00)
Lifeguard with Waterfront: Northampton Residents $325 (Non Residents add $10.00)
(participant needs to provide mask & fins)
Waterfront Only: Northampton Residents $185 (Non Residents add $10.00)
(participant needs to provide mask & fins)
Pre-registration required, as space is limited and a minimum number is required to run this class.
American Red Cross Blended Learning Lifeguarding Course
Red Cross Lifeguarding course trains individuals to become a certified Red Cross Lifeguard and how to carry them out in a professional manner. You will also learn how to use surveillance techniques, rescue equipment, and how to manage a suspected spinal injury victim. Class materials: Pocket mask, Whistle, Lanyard, and hip pack are included. Participants will be required to download the free participants manual. Participants MUST attend all classes and MUST successfully pass written and skills test to receive certification. This is a blended learning class. There is approximately ten hours of online learning for you to do on your own, followed by the in class sessions.
Accessing the online session is further down the page. Upon successful completion of this course (including written and rescue skills testing), you will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard/CPRO/AED/First Aid certificate which is valid for 2 years.
Red Cross Waterfront Module is designed to train pool lifeguards in working non-surf beaches. You will be trained in using mask & fins, searching shallow & deep water areas, and using a rescue board. Training will occur in both pool and waterfront. Upon successful completion of this course (including written and rescue skills testing), you will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard Waterfront Training certificate with is only valid with a current Red Cross Lifeguard Certificate.
The online portion MUST be taken on a PC or tablet, (Course is NOT supported on a smart phone device).
The online lessons MUST be competed before attending any of the in-class sessions. Check the syllabus for the required lessons. Most learners complete the online portion in approximately 10 hours. However, your experience may vary widely based on several factors including your PC, internet speed, and previous training. I recommend beginning the online session as soon as possible to ensure there are no issues.
Follow these instructions for launching the Lifeguard online course
Note: During the online portion you will view multiple videos that pertain to each lesson. Please bring any questions, reflections, or concerns about the videos to the class.
You will receive the syllabus for the course when you register
Please call the Parks and Recreation office at 413-587-1040 if you have further questions.