- Parks & Recreation
- Aquatic & Family Center
- Youth Aquatic Programs
- Swim Lesson Level Descriptions
Swim Lesson Level Descriptions
A variety of swim classes are offered. The classes that is intended to be a guide to parents. If you have more specific questions, feel free to call the Recreation Department.
- Suggested Ages 1-5
- For parents and children working together in preparation for pre-level. This class is designed to develop a level of comfort in the water between parent and child. Basic skills are introduced with an emphasis on an enjoyable experience that keeps them wanting more! Children not fully potty trained should wear a swim diaper.
Pre - Level:
- Suggested Ages 3-5
- For those who are not quite ready to stand or swim unassisted in 3ft 6in. water. This is a non-parent involved class, however, parents may observe.
Level 1 & 2:
- Suggested Ages 5 and up
- Skills learned in this level include exit and enter water safely, blow bubbles, submerge mouth, nose and eyes, underwater exploration with eyes open, float on front & glide 5 seconds. Back position showing comfort, kick in a front and back position, flutter kick on front & back, simultaneous arm action on front and back, combined stroke on front and back (use of both arms and legs), (rhythmic breathing), hold breath fully submerged 3 seconds, bob 10 times, learn basic personal water safety information.
Level 3 & 4:
- Suggested Ages 5 and up
- Skills learned in this level include working on developing participants’ confidence in the strokes learned thus far including endurance and refining strokes, glide on front & back 2 body lengths with flutter kick, tread water for 1 min. in deep with scissor, breaststroke or rotary kick. Elementary back kick & body motion 15 yards, jump from side into deep water independently, dive head first from side in a sitting or kneeling position. Participants will add arms to the scissors kick for the sidestroke and start to learn the breaststroke and butterfly. Participants will learn basic water safety & diving rules.
Level 5 & 6:
- Suggested Ages 6 and up
- Skills learned in this level include work on coordination and refinement of strokes and their performance including front crawl, back crawl, butterfly, breaststroke, elementary backstroke, and sidestroke. Participants will work on efficiency and power over greater distances. Tuck and pike surface dives. Will focus will be on fitness swimming and developing lifelong water skills, endurance. Participants will learn basic water safety & diving rules.