Planning & Sustainability
Mission: Identify and implement community vision for a sustainable and resilient future with a healthy and equitable economy and environment
- Planning: resilience | sustainability | visioning | comprehensive | strategic
- Climate: resilience/adaptation | regeneration/mitigation
- Environment: design with nature | open space | agriculture
- Mobility: car-less options | bicycles and pedestrians | transit
- Equity: housing | community development | economic prosperity | accessibility
- Placemaking: design | built environment | history | community preservation
- Tools and techniques to implement this mission
Adopted Form Based Code for Downtown and Florence Village
Pending Regulatory Changes:
Proposed Zoning Amendments: Map Change Florence Congregational Church
To be notified of board agendas, visit our Notify Me.
"This small city offers more restaurants and shops, certainly more galleries, theaters and performance venues than most urban centers dozens of times its size. Add two rivers, mountain views, landscaped parks and meadow walks, and you begin to see why people call it paradise." -The Boston Globe
"Northampton combines the cultural breadth of a major metropolis ... with the low-key sensibility of a small borough." -National Geographic Adventure
"liberal enclave with rural roots" Top Retirement Hot Spot -AARP Magazine and CNBC.
We acknowledge that Northampton is built upon and benefited from the extensive contributions, assistance, and traditional land stewardship of Indigenous and First Peoples, including the Nipmuc and Pocumtuc Nations, who have inhabited this landscape since time immemorial. Our continued prosperity is dependent upon acknowledging and learning from its rich intertwined history, and we acknowledge the role of the Stockbridge-Munsee Band of Mohican Indians in this work.