Permits, Code & Regulations
Planning & Sustainability Permit Applications
We all love our projects, but some are not allowed. Talk to planning staff before applying to avoid disappointment. Applications must be filed at least 30 days prior to a public hearing.
Please review the five step process for permit application below before submitting your online application.
1. APPLY ONLINE:
- If the property has no street number, enter 0 (zero) for a street number.
- Please see National Grid Pre-Construction Checklist, if applicable, to avoid encroachment.
- Press SUBMIT and PRINT BEFORE exiting.
- Then pay on-line, see #2 below.
- For large projects: upload digital plans and materials or submit on storage device (e.g. USB)
2. PAY YOUR FEES to complete your application. Paper checks are not accepted.
3. SUBMIT COLLATED PAPER COPIES OF:
- On-Line Payment receipt
- Zoning permit
- Building Department review
- All supporting materials
- Plans larger than letter size (8.5 in. x 11 in.) must be folded - DO NOT ROLL
- No plastic bindings
- Drop Off at: Office of Planning & Sustainability, Second Floor, Room 11, 210 Main St., Northampton, MA 01060
- Drop Off Hours: 8:45 A.M. to 4:15 P.M. - Monday through Friday
Visit Permit Process FAQ page for additional detail.
The number of required paper packets is:
- Approval Not Required survey: Mylar (rolled is okay) and Four copies of both application and folded plans
- Central Business Architecture: Digital submission plus Three copies entire package, Submittal Criteria
- Historic District Certificate of Appropriateness: Two copies entire package
- Historic District Certificate of Non-Applicability: One application and supporting information
- Planning Board Site Plan, Special Permits, West St. Architecture: Two copies entire package (plans may be reduced scale as long as they are legible: 11x17),
- Zoning Board Special Permits, Finding, Appeals: Two copies entire package.
- Zoning Board Comprehensive Permits: Three copies entire package (2 plans may be reduced scale),
- Conservation Commission wetlands filings: Two copies entire package, including the state wetlands application . IF filing a Notice of Intent, amendment request or ANRAD, include one abutters list and an affidavit (DOC) that you notified abutters (DOC) by hand delivery, certified mail with return receipts, or certificates of mailing of your application. Request abutters list from our GIS coordinator. If your project includes a wetlands delineation, please provide the CAD file electronically.
- Demolition Delay, see the Building Department. Demolition delay is part of building permit process
4. PUBLIC HEARING SIGN
- Pick up a yellow sign from Planning & Sustainability, Second Floor, Room 11, 210 Main St.
- Post it on the subject property.
- Planning staff will email you a public hearing notice, which you must print and insert in the public hearing sign.
- Return the yellow sign to Planning & Sustainability after the hearing.
- Staff will place any required newspaper advertising.
This is NOT required for ANRs and Historic District non-applicability permits.
5. After Filing
- Within 21 days, staff will notify you if additional information is required
- Generally, within 21 days ANR plans will be ready for pick up
- IF your project includes work within a public way, either because you need city services or it is a condition of a permit, you MUST obtain Prevailing Wage rates and you MUST pay those wages to your employees.
- Everything you file will be on the Internet and in the public domain. Do NOT include confidential information.