How do I report an LED outage or request a house shield?
The Streetlight Modification Form can be found on You will be able to either submit your request online, or download the form and mail it to the Northampton's Energy and Sustainability Officer. For more information, contact Chris Mason at 413-587-1055 or
The city will evaluate all requests for shields to determine if the streetlight’s position in relation to the house will result in more than 0.009 foot-candles of illumination from the streetlight reaching the house. If the city determines that this may be possible, it will have a shield installed on that lamp so as to block the lamp’s illumination from the house. Depending on which shield will block light from reaching the house, the city will choose to install a house-side shield, a street-side shield or a cul-de-sac shield.

Show All Answers

1. What is the entire scope of the conversion program?
2. How will this conversion effect the city’s energy use and budget for streetlights?
3. What other benefits are there in an LED conversion?
4. What is an LED?
5. What type of streetlights did the LED streetlights replace?
6. What does color temperature mean?
7. Hasn't the American Medical Association (AMA) raised health concerns about LED streetlights?"
8. Shouldn’t the new LED streetlights be shielded so that drivers cannot see the source of light?
9. Will new LED streetlights produce unwanted spill light?
10. How do I report an LED outage or request a house shield?
11. Does the City use LEDs for any other fixtures currently?
12. How did the City determine streetlight wattages and brightness levels?
13. Did the City consider a wireless control system that would allow dimming of the streetlights?
14. Have the LED streetlights resulted in higher levels of blue light?
15. Is there a connection between LED streetlights and circadian sleep cycles?
16. What other Massachusetts municipalities have converted streetlights to LED?